Q&A with Dr. Suzan Obagi
Dr. Suzan Obagi delights us in a short interview to answer all your frequently asked questions regarding Obagi's newest product line, SUZANOBAGIMD.
1. With the multitude of skin care lines available to consumers in the market today, it has become a daunting task to choose a product line to maintain healthy skin. With this in mind, what sets the SUZANOBAGIMD® line apart from other existing skincare systems?
Dr. Suzan Obagi: "The SUZANOBAGIMD® line was created with the modern patient in mind. We focused on formulating each product using clinically proven ingredients that drive results, excluding unnecessary chemicals, eliminating irritation, and minimizing our environmental impact. The line provides the perfect balance of powerful ingredients and purposeful exclusions, meaning, what we left out is just as important as we put into each formula."
2. Who would you say are ideal patients for this line?
Dr. Suzan Obagi: "The line is ideal for truly any and all patients, including those with sensitive skin. The products help to address the appearance of photo aging, fine lines and wrinkles, rough texture, and a lackluster complexion. Each product has been dermatologist tested, is hypoallergenic, non-sensitizing, and free of parabens, synthetic dyes, and artificial fragrances."
3. How long does it take to see results?
Dr. Suzan Obagi: "As with any product, the time it takes to see results will vary from patient to patient. However, I like to give the skin at least a full skin cycle (about 6 weeks) to adjust and begin to note results."
4. We love that the SUZANOBAGIMD® line can be integrated with different Obagi products for a customized experience. Can you give us an example of product integration?
Dr. Suzan Obagi: "I like to integrate different products into my patients’ regimens based on their specific needs and lifestyle. For example, I love to incorporate Obagi Professional-C Serums into most of my patients’ skin care routines. For acne-prone patients, I include several of the CLENZIderm M.D. products to help manage acne. And for patients with hyperpigmentation, I like to add a hydroquinone or arbutin containing product such as Clarifying Serum, Clear, ClearFX, and/or CRX-Night Therapy Lotion."
5. Do SUZANOBAGIMD® products compliment Obagi transformation systems?
Dr. Suzan Obagi: "Yes, of course. The SUZANOBAGIMD® products can compliment and enhance any skin care regimen. For example, there are certain skin types and patients who cannot tolerate tretinoin on a regular basis due to irritation. In an instance like this, I would include Retivance® in their regimen to make sure they are utilizing a potent vitamin A without undue irritation. Eventually, we can slowly introduce tretinoin into their routine and go back and forth between the two products to ensure that each night they are applying a collagen and elastin building agent."
6. Could you tell us more about the 3-step process, the core philosophy behind SUZANOBAGIMD®?
Dr. Suzan Obagi: "The 3-Step Process was conceptualized to simplify a skin care routine that can be adapted to any and all patients’ individual needs. We use the 3-Step Process for the SUZANOBAGIMD® line, but the beauty of this philosophy is that it can be applied to any regimen.
- Step 1: Cleanse: We like to say that we 'cleanse with a purpose.' Proper skin cleansing is essential for removing oil buildup, makeup, and environmental pollutants. Cleansing the skin increases the efficacy of products applied to the skin after cleansing. The SUZANOBAGIMD® Foaming Cleanser, Balancing Toner, and Cleansing Wipes are antioxidant-rich, leaving behind a layer of antioxidant protection for the skin before any products are applied.
- Step 2: Protect: This step is non-negotiable! Our skin is exposed to harmful ultraviolet radiation (UVR), visible light (HEV, VIS), and infrared radiation (IR) on a daily basis, regardless of the local climate or geographic location. Protecting the skin against UVR, HEV, VIS, and IR is the most effective, proactive step you can take to minimize the visible signs of aging.
- Step 3: Renew: We complete 3-Step Process with renewal. Integrating a stimulating product, like Retivance or IDR, into a skin care regimen will rejuvenate aging and damaged skin, revealing a healthy and radiant glow. Renewal is an essential component of anti-aging and maintenance following procedures, devices, and injectables."
Dr. Suzan Obagi is recognized as one of the world’s most respected cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists, committed to training medical students, residents, fellows and other physicians. Her interest in skin health and restoration has led to multiple peer-reviewed journal articles and chapters in premier textbooks on dermatologic, plastic and cosmetic surgery.
SUZANOBAGIMD® products are available at all HOO Dermatology branches.